Skip to main content

Workshop Day 2

Hey writers! How's your writing coming along? I hope things are going smoothly and well for you!

Personal questions or chats can be sent to

workshop ink in the book at g mail dot com (no spaces, of course!)

I had planned to wait until Monday Check-in to post any more, but I found an idea today that helped me plan my NaNo novel and it worked wonders for my manuscript ideas! Wanna know the secret?

Mapping my story in a rough outline form. Now, normally, I write with the flow. I start with an idea and just write. Amazing ideas usually just show up while I'm writing. But since I am on a time limit, I thought I would try the outline and see what happened.

Now, if you are against using an outline (the arguments on both sides have been widely "argued") this method can still work for you. It's not a method that is written in stone. You can change if inspiration strikes in the middle of a scene. Simply write the idea that inspired you:)

As you fill in the map, don't stress over an empty thought. In other words, it's okay if yo skip a section until you figure it out. It's also okay if you put something in the outline, then change it if a new thought comes to mind. There's no reason to stress over a blank idea. It will fill as you write.

Here is what I put down on my mapped outline:

Point A should describe the hook of your story all the way to the end of ACT 1, which would be the turning point of the MC. Keep your thoughts brief and don't stress over details. The isn't the time or place for details. That will come later. This exercise is only meant to give you some direction.

Next, map out the setup for y our story. This is background information that you as the author needs to know. T his is important because while writing this, you may "stumble" onto a great scene you hadn't thought about before mapping. You may never use this information in our story, but it WILL help you flesh out characters, settings, and plot idea. It really does help!

Next, Point C, you'll want to write about the mood ACT 1 will evoke. No, not by writing, "She was excited!" or "He bowed his head in shame." Not that sort of writing. You can evoke mood by using weather conditions, props in the scene, the setting (dark alley, sunny picnic meadow...) the emotions of your characters, the style of your writing, and others.

Point D is the inciting incident. If you don't know what the inciting incident is, there will be a leeson on this in just a few days! But this is what happens that makes your MC decide he/she MUST start on the journey, whatever that may be.

And last, for now, is what is at stakes? Why would your readers WANT to keep reading your story?
***

This is only the beginning, but at least it's a start. We'll talk about the map for ACT 2 later!

Have a great weekend

Comments

  1. I found an outline enormously helpful, and this is a fabulous way of doing an outline! I will have to try it out on the next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lora! Be sure and check out the rest of my mapping technique in a couple of days! We'll get more details for out maps!

      Delete
  2. K so my computer decided to not turn on today and that meant that i was now separated from all the prep work i had done for nano and everything that i wrote yesterday and this morning. I'm not too worried about things though because my husband is a techie so he will get all the things on my hardrive that I need. but I've been pretty stuck as I started on to my writing for today. this really helped me find my groove and get writing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh:( I'm so sorry to hear about your computer problems! Sometimes hi-tech is hi-pain! I hope your techie hubby can get what you need.

      I'm glad this mapping idea worked for you! Here's to your quick recovery! (((hugs)))

      Delete
  3. I'm a dedicated pantser. Outlines make me obsess. But I DID do something similar - almost a pre-synopsis of the basics - characters, plot, before, during, during after. Since I am also using mythology - I have a separate document with the basic outline of each gods' personality. I am doing this from scratch with the ultimate goal of writing 90k, editing/revising, creating a query/synopsis by the time the agent pitch starts. I've been having issues with my MoJo lately, but this workshop is helping :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips above, am especially going to try setting the mood by thinking about weather and atmosphere etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do something similar but it's a plot grid I got from another blog. That one is a grid of nine boxes. Box 1 is the triggering event, Box 2 is Characterization, Box 3 is First Major Turning Point, Box 4 is Foreshadowing, Box 5 is tying boxes 2&4 together, Box 6 is All Hell Breaks Loose, Box 7 is Antagonist Appears to Win, Box 8 is the Ah Ha! or the Of Course! Moment and Box 9 is the Real Resolution. I am using it for my NaNoWriMo book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you these are great tips! I have several ideas for a story. I guess I will try your suggestions and see which one is leading the path. This will give me a chance to further explore~ Thank you so much....I am looking forward to learning more :D You rock!

    I love your header ;D Your blog is so pretty and so fits the season(and Polka dots-whoa!) @>-------

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips for writing. I love writing back story, finding out as much as I can about characters. I sometimes keep a scrap book with pictures as well, which is a great distraction. Good luck with NaNo:))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri