Skip to main content

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Blog Hop: Character Interview


Music playing in the background, at Shae's request: My Heart Will Go On


Ink: Hi Shae. Thank you for joining me today here on my blog, Ink in the Book.
Can you tell me what the last thing you remember before gaining your memory back?

Shae: Well, I remember flashes of white, cold shivers against my skin. I remember hearing voices, but I couldn't understand everything they were saying. Oh. And I remember hearing a door slam.

Ink: Okay, what happened next?

Shae: I don't remember. Really, the next thing I can recall is waking up in a small room. It was dark, damp and suffocating. Like an old attic kind of hot. Hot, stuffy and sweaty.

Ink: Could you see anything or anyone?

Shae: It was dark, but there were cracks of light coming under a door and slivers of light seeping through the walls. The room was mostly bare. There was a bed and a small table and chair. I think there was a rug because I remember my bare feet touching something.

Ink: What about the people's voices? Could you hear anyone talking?

Shae: Not at first. All I could hear was something whirring, like maybe a ceiling fan. I could feel it, too, vibrating under my feet. I also heard a car pull up close to where I was. It was a gravel road, or maybe driveway that the car was driving on.

Shae sits quietly for a minute, staring off into space. Suddenly, her lip quivers and she places her hands against her chest as if to still her heart.

Ink: Anything else you want to talk about?

Shae: No. Well, yes. Don't you want to know about how I got rescued?

Ink: I would love to know the details!

Shae: Well, Ashton showed up at the door. I could hear mumbling to my captor before I heard the stairs creaking. He opened the door and my heart melted. I wasn't for sure if he was there to hurt me or what. He came and knelt in front of me and told me not to be afraid, that he was there to take me away. His blonde hair swept down over his eye and I could smell something like burnt wood. You know, like a camp fire. But it was his eyes that mesmerized my heart. They looked right through me as if they could see my soul. And they were the color of amethyst.

Ink: Wait a minute. His eyes were purple?

Shae: Yes. Sparkling amethyst. They turned lavender when he laughed. But dark, fearful purple when angry, almost blue. His eyes are mood rings, you know.

Ink: Mood rings? What does that mean?

Shae: They turned colors with his mood.

Ink: How strange.

Shae: In his hand he held a mark, sort of like a tattoo.

Ink: What do you mean held a mark?

Shae: It looked like he was holding it, but sometimes it just appeared. Especially when he got emotionally, or excited. It lit up his hand and glowed.

Ink: What did it look like?

Shae: I don't know. Really. It changed just like his eyes. But what I saw, it looked like a dagger. And he used it on me. On my heart. But when he looked at River, it hanged to a heart. A bleeding heart. Serves him right for what he did to me. 


Shea sat quietly for a minute, raising her hand to her chest. At first, I thought she was just tired, but then I could see she not flustered, but her hands over her were placed there to shield her heart. To protect it somehow. Then, she just got up and walked away. No, she ran. Like a bird let loose from a cage.

Comments

  1. "His eyes are mood rings." - What an excellent line! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyra! A man's eyes say a lot about him and Ashton does have A*M*A*Z*I*N*G eyes.

      Delete
  2. I really liked the picture here. What you've written is very interesting and intrigues me. It is definitely something I would want to read more of. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jaybird! I just read your entry and I loved the part about the eyes! Very interesting and close to my character, too:) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pic is superb. Love it! I have to agree... the line about the eyes was the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thanks Danielle! I'm super excited you visited today!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like he has beautiful eyes that would catch any girl's attention. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks so much for the comment;)

      Delete
    3. Actually, if he wasn't a character in my book I'd snap him up myself!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, amethyst eyes! I need to know more about this guy. Very intriguing interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for visiting my blog! If you come back next week you will get to see more! More snippets and more pics!

      Delete
  7. Mood ring eyes - my son has those...but not Amethysts, of course.

    Loved reading this! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children have a way of showing us exactly what they are thinking, don't they?
      Thanks for stopping by today:)

      Delete
  8. Wow. That was a teaser. I'd really like to know more. Why was she held captive? Why did she lose her memory?

    I'm curious about the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi! I'm so glad you caught the memory thing! That is the center of my story and the theme of my book! Thanks for visiting today. Hope you will come back:)

      Delete
  9. I like Shae's descriptions of things. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I'm glad you stopped by and visited. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  10. Very intriguing. Ashton sounds very enigmatic, and Shae, what happened to her? Who kidnapped her and why?

    Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't tell all my secrets! That would ruin the intrigue! But it is exciting and curious, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  11. What a peculiar boy she's managed to stumble across.
    Love the description of the eyes, reminds me of one of my MCs (his are amber, like the gem), but it's the tattoo/not-tattoo that gets me though, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's like he holds things that are tattooed on his hands. It's really very different.
      Thanks for stopping by. I loved your entry, by the way:)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. I'm so glad you stopped by and read my interview. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Nicely done, Ink!
    I like all of the bits that hint at something more, such as the eye color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, intriguing interview. Love the mood ring eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea, when Ashton told me about his eyes I thought he was just kidding around, but nope, his eyes really are mood rings!
    Thank you for coming over and visiting and taking the time to read my interview:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shae is enchanting! and talk about reading someone by their eyes! that guy cant hide anything unless he wears sunglasses! love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. Shae is a very quiet person and such a lady. But her quietness can be biting. She demands treatments of ladylikeness.

      Delete
  17. Oooh, Ashton's eyes sound really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun interview to read. You kept me entertained from the start.

    I'm a new follower. I'm looking forward to following your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Emily! Thanks for joining my blog! I'm so glad! I hope to add to my interview soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's too cool about the mood ring eyes! I would love to see something like that :D Great interview!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri