Skip to main content

Writer in Motion Round two



Hey beautiful guys and dolls!! Welcome to my first post during WRITER IN MOTION round two. I was lucky enough to be chosen in the raffle to have my short, 1,000 word or less flash fiction chosen to be edited by a professional editor! So, follow along  my journey as I go from prompt to polished draft in for weeks.

Out first post is prepping for the first draft. Given the prompt, what were my first thoughts and what did I do to prep the character, story, and plot?? HEre's the photo prompt:



Honestly, it didn't speak me.

At all.

I was lost, and my excitement quickly deflated like a helium balloon stuffed in the back of a dark closet. Not because I didn't like the photo. I LOVED it. But because I was completely lost in ideas. So, I put the put the picture away, and ignored it.

Well, that's not true.
The photo haunted me for hours. Who was this girl? Why was she here? What had happened up to this point in time?

That's when it hit me. Tell the story before the photo. Write about the story off the page, the part the on-looker hasn't seen.

So I started taking notes! Kinda. I started asking questions.

Where was she born? On earth? In a fantasy land? Space?
Does she have any hobbies?
What's her job?
Does she have a love interest?
Ooooo, does she have an enemy? Why?
Does she have a best friend? Have they always been best friends? Are they still close?
What's the ONE thing this character fiercely avoids? Why? What has she done to avoid tis thing? What will she do in the future to avoid this one things? Something different? The same as always?
Ok, now the opposite...what is the one ting this character wants, more than anything? What has she done in the past to try and get it? What are some things she might do in the future to get that one thing she really, really, wants??


As I answered these questions, my character slowly emerged, and this started shaping my story! My inspiration came back in spades.

I got excited!

I started a vision board on Pinterest.

https://www.pinterest.com/inkinthebook/writer-in-motion/

I found a playlist, something I would have never chosen if it hadn't been shared with me, but it's perfect for this story!

https://www.icerequiem.com/songs


I dug into the picture and picked out things that spoke to me, and asked questions about them, questions that may be weird to others, but made perfect sense to me.

What is she holding in hand? No, it's not a flare. It's a __________!! And why is she using this _____?

Is she calling someone or something? NOOOOO!! She's _________!!

Is she standing on the lede of building? Absolutely not!

Wha's above her? Clouds? But what's above the clouds?
What's below her? Sky> Nope. It's _________!

WHY IS SHE WEARING BLACK?
Why is her hair short?
Why is she barefoot?
Why is the sky blue and white? No, it's not because that's the natural color of the sky. It's because __________!

These are all the questions that sparked my interest. And these are the things I based my character and and story on.

Are you intrigued to find out more?
I am!!

Until next time my blogger friends, write with ink in the book...













Comments

  1. Oh, I love seeing your process. It is the most gorgeous photo. And congrats on winning the professional edit, I did the first WiM and it is such a awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!