Skip to main content

A to Z Challenge: X, Y, Z

I hope it's not against the rules, but I had to combine my last three letters into one final post. Partings are so hard to do, but alas, it must be. It's time to say goodbye to the challenge until next year, right!

X is for xerophytic 
Y is for yawn
Z is for zoster

Xerophytic is the ability to survive a drought. How appropriate for a writer. I couldn't help but think of writer's block and how necessary it is to  keep at it. Keep writing, even when the well is dry. It will rain again, and when it does, your best piece of writing will appear. As if by magic. Well...not really, but when the drought over, your writing will come back clear, crisp and ready for some wowing:)

During those times of drought, you may getting sleepy, causing a YAWN. But your biggest fear should be causing your reader to yawn, which is something you never want to do. Boring reading means you're on the verge of losing a reader. This, my dear friend, is bad for business. It takes stamina to be a xerophytic. trust me on this one. Don't write just for the sake of moving the pen. Dry seasons come, but they go, too. While in the middle of a drought, writing that produces YAWNS is easy to do. So just enjoy your days o dry weather. Rest, or do something besides write. This will keep the yawns away from your manuscript, and your readers will thank you:)

Dry periods not only bring sleepy yawns, but it can put a ZOSTER on your creativity and inspiration. A zoster is a girdle. Feeling tight around the pen and paper? Or do you suffer from lack of breath? a zoster can make you feel sleepy so during those dry spells, take extra care to loosen the girdle that binds your mind and your creativity.

I know. My last A to Z Challenge was a corny piece of writing. Don't throw tomatoes! Maybe I need to throw this stupid ZOSTER away, stop my YAWNing and be a good little XEROPHYTIC. I will survive this drought. Watch and see:)

Thanks so much for your faithful visit, beautiful guys and dolls. I really appreciate how you take the time out of your busy schedule to visit my blog:)

THANK YOU!

Comments

  1. When I feel that zoster on my pen and paper and the xerophytic looms over me, I stretch with a yawn, close that notebook and turn to real life for a while. Because we can't write, if we don't live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the combination of the three letters, only you could make it flow so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie. I fell behind and figured this was the best way to get back up and finish the race!

      Delete
  3. It has been fun even if I complained along the way. I think complaining helped me vent and make it through to the end.

    Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy May to you, too! I just can't believe how fast time has flown!

      Delete
  4. Yes, you wove the three together well! No yawning here.
    Congratulations on completing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness well done on those last 3 letters and congrats on reaching Z in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri