Skip to main content

A to Z Challenge: Q and Celebate the Small Things

It's impossible to think it's Friday already. Today's post is going to be long. I have the A to Z challenge, Celebrate blog hop, and a special post from a guest. You ready for it all??

Celebrate the Small Things:

I am happy to have a home, safe and sound and secure. I've not been attacked, there's no tornado or hurricane or earthquake threatening me, and I'm not suffering the loss of my home, family or friends.

My thoughts and prayers are with those in Boston and Texas.

Q is for QUERY contests: (Guest post from ELLIE HELLER)

-->
This is an excellent time to be a writer!

Not only do you have lots of publishing opportunities, from the traditional agent model to indie e-presses to self publishing (you really should go check out the Dahlia Adler's blog on the various options here: http://dailydahlia.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/choosing-your-pub-path/) but amount of support you'll find online from other writers is astounding.

You're not alone, there's a growing community of writers online and you can find someone (or two or three or more people) to encourage you and support you on your journey.

Writing is, at its heart, a solitary profession. One person sits and writes. No hanging out by the coffee pot for a chat, no popping into the lunchroom to sing happy birthday to a co-worker, no charts with the betting pool for a current sporting event in the break room.

One person. A computer (or note pad or typewriter – but that last one is pretty rare these days!).

But it doesn’t have to be that way, not any more. While of course you'll need 'alone' time to write you don't have to be alone while writing.  Facebook groups, twitter hashtags (like #1k1h – one thousand words in one hour) and online sites such as CPseek all are great aides to meet other writers, make friends, and to not feel so alone.

To me, though, the best way to meet people is to enter pitch and query contests. In this regard, not all contests are created equal.  Some are merely send in your pitch and the agent/editor will choose from the submissions. No comments, no notes (but a decent way to get in front of an agent/editor!).

However there are also multi-level contests where first you go through a critique period where other people comment and help, then you resubmit a finished product for the agent/editor round (if you are wondering why I keep saying editor, when a press like Entangled or Carina is involved in a pitch contest it's their editors who are judging the pitches).

These multi-level pitch events are the best place to meet fellow writers. You can read their writings, what they have to contribute to the discussion and get a great feel for who they are and where they are at in their journey. Along side the events there's often a twitter element where you can discuss the different rounds and support each other, which is another great place to hang out and 'meet' people.

Best of all, the hosts of these events are fantastically helpful people. Seriously! Running a pitch event takes a lot of work and coordination, exponentially more so when there are several rounds. You have to be a generous spirit and working to help others to commit that much time and effort to the event.

That's how I found Ink in the Book– I was participating in Operation Agent Ink but ended up pulling out because I got the offer from Crimson Romance on A Matter of Fate! (The good news is she's thinking of running another one over the summer.) Even though I didn't complete the course, she was kind enough to reach out and let me come visit to promote the very book that caused my withdrawal.

This is exactly the type of response I've found repeatedly, and show just how great the online writer community is at supporting each other.

So go out there, don't feel like you have to 'go it alone' as a writer, because you don't!  Find a critique partner, follow your favorite authors on facebook, an indie publisher you like, join a multi-level pitch/query contest.

Get some support, make friends and be sure to have fun!


A MATTER OF FATE

Blurb:


 Someone is setting death-spells targeting mortals and elf blood alike. With her mentor out of commission, it’s up to half-trained Warder Mona Lisa Kubrek to stop the magic. Despite being told repeatedly her job is to nullify spells and not go after the source, too many people are at risk for her to not track the spell-caster down. Even meeting a sexy half-elf shifter won’t distract her from her goal.


Except Cart Dupree is fully trained and has the team to search for the evildoer, so she’d be stupid to not use his expertise. Stupid is something she can’t afford to be, not with her enemy’s henchmen after her. Later she’ll deal with Cart and his questions about her special abilities and the non-standard training her mentor has given her. Right now, they need to unravel where the magician is, and who he is, before he builds enough power to decimate them all.


First, though, they need to stay alive.

Sensuality Level: Behind Closed Doors



Ellie Heller
Stories tingling with romance, magic and suspense

Comments

  1. LOL, this worked out GREAT! Thanks so much for having me stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, grateful to have a home and be safe. Thoughts with those who've had a difficult week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot to be grateful for,no extreme weather either.So many awful things happening in the world.
    Is Anyone There

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I feel so blessed to be so protected from the evil.

      Delete
  4. It sure is great to feel secure in your home. I just came back from a business trip to Cairo and I was SO GLAD to be home! And my sympathies to Boston and Texas residents, too.
    Ellie's right about making awesome connections in the writing community. There's strength in numbers. Friends, CPs, and betas are sometimes the only things that can kept me from becoming unglued. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing community is thriving! I know we writers are stereotyped as "introverted beings" but the truth is that we just talk (more) to people like ourselves! A very helpful post and a great blurb too.

    Sania at Embracing Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sania and Lexa, and to Ink in the Book for letting me come visit. I'm very glad to be have a safe and secure place to call home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri