Skip to main content

Sharon Bayliss Interview!


My guest poster/interview blogger is away at camp this week. I will be adding her interview in the blogfest mix just as soon as she returns home! In the mean time, I am re-posting a previous interview. You're gonna wanna read it. And, don't forget to check out the scavenger hunt clues. right here. 

There are TWO clues up and another will be posted later:)

 I decided to start the interviews with special guest, Sharon Bayliss. She's a wife, mother, author and Social media Expert and she's the ring leader behind the carnival. It's only fitting to start her off with this AMAZING interview. You are going to love it! I promise! Why wait another minute? Well, because we've got something else to talk about, first:)

You see, Warrren King will be joining us tomorrow to open up our scavenger hunt booth! He's an amazing host, one you will not forget and he wants you to join him on his journey to find his kidnapped brother.

Now, each day, there will be a clue, a super easy clue that will will guide you along the way. The great thing about all this is that not only are we traveling with Warren, but there are a whole host of characters traveling with us. That's right! These clues, and things you will find during the hunt will open a whole lot of good things about Curiosity Quills and the authors and stories they represent. This will be a journey you DO NOT  want to miss. And it will be loads of fun. Remember, the booth opens tomorrow, so please come back and get your tickets and join in on the fun.

Okay, ready for the interview? *Drum rolls sounding in background*


1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

To some extent, I've always known. I've been interested in creative writing since I was a child and have been writing on and off since my whole life. In 2009, I had an idea for a novel while going for a jog and decided to keep working at it until I was published. I just knew it was the right time.
2. How many hours each day do you devote to media research and posting? Has it been difficult to create a new schedule to include media work?

I work for Curiosity Quills to do social media marketing, so I spend a lot of more time than most writers because it's my job! Unlike most jobs, I don't just sit at my computer for a certain period of time. I work on and off throughout the day, every day. Sometimes I'm on the computer almost all day, sometimes it's just a few hours, depending on what's going on at work and in my personal life. 

I have another part-time job, a book coming out, and am a mother to a toddler (with another on the way). So, yes, it's been difficult finding the time for everything. But it's important enough to me that I'm making it work. It helps that my social media job is very flexible. I work when I can.

For authors who don't have side jobs in social media marketing, I think a little goes a long way. You can manage a blog and your other social media sites in less than an hour a day...as long as you can focus! Social media is a great way to procrastinate on writing if you're not careful.
3. What advice can you offer new and aspiring authors who want to spread the word about their brand? What's the best way to create an author brand?

Your brand should be whatever name you plan to use to publish your books. Whenever possible, use your author name as your blog address, Twitter handle, and Facebook page name. It makes it so much easier for people to find you. Assuming you want to write more than one book in your life, focus your brand on you as an author, not your book. Then, think about your genre and potential readers when creating your pages. Use content and designs that would appeal to them. Then interact with similar professionals and potential readers on social media. You don't have to self-promote, just interact. Your brand will build itself organically.
4. What is your favorite thing in the whole wide world to do? (Excluding anything to do with writing!)

I'm happiest when I'm with my family. My perfect moment would be sitting on the back porch with my husband watching my kids play in the yard. I'm drinking a margarita and listening to "Heavenly Day" by Patty Griffin. I can smell barbecue smoking on the grill.
5. Do you listen to music when you work?

Only if I'm doing something mindless. If I'm writing, I'm so in the zone, I wouldn't hear it anyway. But if I don't need my brain too much, I have a Norah Jones Pandora station that is nice and calming.
6. What is your favorite food?

I have several: vanilla birthday cake, brisket tacos, anything with chipotle sauce, and Kerby Lane queso.

Thank you, Sharon, wasn't that a blast to read? When you comment, you get a ticket. Who loves books? Comment, then, and tell Sharon thanks:)

Comments

  1. I thought it was perfect. Just perfect. And advice that should be taken to heart by every writer and blogger. Thanks, Sharon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Sharon, i want to come to Texas and eat Brisket Tacos and drink margaritas with you! We need to have a CQ conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fair - I want to come but I'm stuck in NZ! Can we have a CQ over here? :)

      Delete
  3. Great advice, Sharon! Can I bring my kiddos over & share in your perfect day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with making sure to brand your name all over the place. It's make you easier to find. If you have time, come on over and check out my interview with Aldrea Alien!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talynn - Congratulations on 100 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My COOOOOWWWWWW!!! (yeah, I say that!) 100!!! Thanks Sharon for telling me. I haven't been paying attention today/ I've been planning so much for tonight and next week Sheesh!

    I made it to 100 followers. I'm so excited!
    Oh and great interview, Sharon:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the way you explained branding, as well as just connecting and letting it happen. This little interview proved a gem with lots of helpful tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoopty Doo! It did have excellent little gems to put away for later use!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great interview! Sharon, you're certainly going to be super busy this year! Congrats on... well... everything! I'll have a margarita in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I'm back from camp, body AND mind now! After 14 hours of sleep, I'm coherent enough to answer questions, and to ask them of Gwen Gardner (the lovely lady I'm supposed to interview). Send them over when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments! So glad the branding advice was helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri