Skip to main content

CQ Carnival: Interview with Victoria Smith

We have another interview for our CQ Carnival! It's Victoria Smith and she's got sme really fun questins to answer. I won't keep you waiting. Here's Victoria!

1. Tell me about "The Call" and how your were feeling the day AFTER.

I read the email about my contract on my iPhone while in my office.  My co-worker just happened to be sitting in there with me.  After I read the email, I practically leaped from my desk chair.  My co-worker was so surprised that he almost spilled his coffee on himself.  After I composed myself, I made him leave (sorry, my friend!), so I could close the door and do a happy dance around my office.  True story.  I called my husband and sent out emails to my critique partners right after.  Everyone told me to think long and hard about it before I made any decisions, so the next day, I just kind of read over the contract.  It was a very calm approach and I felt really good about it.  I took a couple of days to analyze the contract, emailed my editor with additional questions I had, and when I knew everything looked a-okay, I signed!

2. Where do you get your ideas and inspiration for your stories? Your characters?

Everywhere.  There is no stone unturned when it comes to that.  Real life experiences and things I see everyday.  I once met a woman at the gas station who had on this stellar lime green nail polish.  I created a whole character based off that polish in one of my new books.  Simple, but true.  I usually just have a grain of an idea and I go from there. 

I also listen to music while I write.  That helps inspire me too, but really, I just like to create my stories like watching a movie.  If it’s something I think would be cool to see on film, it makes it into my book.  I usually try to stay true to a few requirements, though.  The story has to be something I would normally like to read, it has to have characters with quirks and characteristics I don’t usually see in fiction, it has to have unique themes, and it has, has, HAS to have a whole lot of love!  I love romances.  I just can’t help but make sure that’s in there.

3. What is your favorite genre to read? Favorite author? Favorite book?

Well, from my previous response you can see that I just adore romance. :) In particular, I enjoy “new adult” fiction romances about characters who are 18 – 25-years-old.  I love reading about that period in a person’s life, which is why I write it myself!  I read about anything “new adult,” but I’m also quite fond of Jennifer Echols and Simone Elkeles works because they write edgy YA fiction.  At this time, my favorite book would probably be The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

4. If you had to write something outside your comfort zone, what would it be?

I would say it would probably be something heavy sci-fi with complicated world building and an intricately weaved action-thriller stacked on top.  I’m talking set on another planet with car chases, fight scenes, and throw in a crazy conspiracy theory.  At the end, the reader has no idea what happened until the main character states all the ways they did what they did.  That would be super fun to write!

5. For fun, what are the colors and decorating theme in your bedroom?

Art Deco meets Paris, France.  I tend to stick to modern colors and I love using black and whites!

Comments

  1. And all the writers rejoiced. Good for you and your happy dance. It's encouraging to read about others' successes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to learn more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this girl! :) I'm SO excited for her and to read her work! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having me on, Ink ;) And Kelley you are just a doll :) Thanks for stopping by Julie and Sharon I am so glad to be working with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri