Skip to main content

#10

Title: Entrusted
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Word Count:

Query: 
When seventeen year old Emma's best friend turns out to be protective spirit, she never imagined he was sent to save her from her boyfriend Luke.  Emma may not have a family and lived in group homes her whole life, but even she knows love shouldn’t come at a price.  In an attempt to escape Luke’s obsessive control, Emma is pulled into a world of Native American legend, and hidden powers of telepathy begin to emerge.   Able to hear the thoughts of those around her would be an advantage, that is if Luke wasn’t able to block her.  As her powers grow stronger she learns about Skinwalkers—witches who alter their shape to wreak havoc on humans.  And Luke is one of them.  Disguised as a raven, Luke watches, waiting until Emma turns eighteen so he can reclaim the powers that are rightfully his, even if it means killing everyone in his way.
When Emma meets Solomon, a young medicine man, he offers her protection. But knowing what happened to the last person she befriended and unsure of Solomon’s true intentions, she pushes him away.  When the connection with Solomon and his family becomes too strong, Emma knows she can’t turn her back on her first chance at real love.  She must learn to use the powers she’s been entrusted to defeat Luke, or risk losing the only family she has ever known.   

First Page:
-->
Before the car had come to a complete stop I knew whoever was inside had a hold on me. 
 “Is that a new one?” Greg slid off the trunk of my car and started stretching for our run
“Guess so.” I shrugged.
The car pulled along the sidewalk and the man driving got out. I followed Greg to the grass and attempted to look casual even though my heart was racing.
“Put your tongue back in your mouth. You haven’t even seen who’s in there yet. Maybe it’s a girl,” he teased. Greg was my running partner and the only real friend I’d ever had.
“There’s just something…” I let my voice trail off when the back door to the car opened and a boy about my age stepped out.
My heart pulled in my chest when my eyes fell on the large black and purple bruise covering the side of his face.  His lip was split open and a faint line of stitches held a gash across his cheek closed.  I wanted to see his eyes, to know that whatever had happened to him hadn’t broken him.  But he kept his head cast down.  He hoisted his bag over his shoulder and followed the man into the yard.
“Hey Emma.” The case worker nodded at me.
“Hey.” I raised my chin in a quick nod.
They walked up to the front door just as Mrs. Farrar, the head of my Therapeutic Group Home, opened it.

Comments

  1. Okay! If you are up for a challenge, I would love to see the first five chapters sent as an attachment directly to me. Terrie(@)akaliteraryllc(dot)com at your soonest convenience!
    Thank you,
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would like to see the first three chapters of this one, too!

    Brittany Booker

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri