Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pixar's Blog Challenge #3

I know. I'm late today. But smile now, because #3 is here! What does it say? See the original list here:

Story Sketches

#3: Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.

Theme. Do you always start a story with a theme? I must admit my goal has always been: What message do I want to portray in my story?

Now, I'll admit the hard hitting truth. My theme usually changes, evolves or CHANGES as I write. Why? Because when I first start on a story, I don't know my characters very well. As I write, I learn more about why they do the things they do and as I grow closer to them, I learn secret things about them.

These things often change my theme because when I thought "he" was a forgiving person, my theme was forgiveness. I soon discovered "he" held grudges and found it impossible to forgive, so my theme changed from forgiveness to redemption.

My point? I agree 100% with point #3 because by the time you finish a story, everything changes, from plot, to characters, to theme. Now that you know what your story is about, it's time to revise and fix that theme!

Don't forget to visit:

Kate

Mary

Regina

Alex

It's a short post today, beautiful guys and dolls, but it's been one of them days...



2 comments:

  1. It's my first time visiting your blog. It was interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing. If you want to find out more about mine, please visit:www.dhdunne.blogspot.com. You'll meet Charlene the Star and her friends and you'll find out what Charlene does when someone tightens the girth. She's a very clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post!
    'Now rewrite'...It is amazing how everything can evolve and change through the editing process.

    ReplyDelete