Skip to main content

How I Got My Agent




Good morning from the Investigator, aka Naomi Hughes! Last week I was honored to join Team Fury, headed by the amazing Louise Fury of the L. Perkins Agency. Here's how it happened.

I’ve always been a lover of stories, especially young adult books “with a twist.” Something about them is addictive: the humor, the unexpected poignancy, the impossible romances. They’ve been my staple for over a decade now, even when I felt guilty for reading about werewolves and angels while my college friends were reading *insert stuffy voice* “important literature.”

I’ve always loved making my own stories, too. Writing is my passion, but after a while I kind of stopped dreaming. It was too hard, and I wasn’t good enough—or so the little voice in my head kept saying. I wrote a few for-fun books in junior high and high school, but things dried up in the cynicism of college and, later, during my attempts to find a “real” job. I tried journalism, photography, secretarial work, and librarianship, and all of it was okay, but none of it was fulfilling.

Then one random day last September, I had a daydream about this really cool scene and started writing what turned out to be a book. When I finished (three weeks later), I sent out about forty query letters to agents, and was very depressed when most of them were rejected. Then I got determined. Writing was my DREAM. Was I really just going to give it a half-hearted shot for a month and then give up?

So I started writing another manuscript called “The Shadowed Flame,” about a goofy, brave, cocky-but-vulnerable Unicorn Rider named Jackson. This time, I tracked down beta readers (and a few hapless family members, including my wonderful husband) to tell me what was wrong with it before I started querying. Being able to swallow critique graciously and use it to make your work better is without question the hardest part of being a mature author. But darn it, I LOVED writing, I was going to be GOOD, I was going to get PUBLISHED, and for that I had to improve. So I did.

I read every post on craft I could find. I read books on outlining, on hooking readers, on the parts of a story. I spent about six hours a day writing, revising, re-reading and re-revising. I got better, and I loved every second of it.

Then in December, I found out about an online contest called Pitch Wars (God bless you, Brenda Drake). I was chosen as an alternate, and my awesome mentor Danielle Ellison was kind enough to read my manuscript and tell me the truth: it was a good concept, but it wasn’t ready. The first and second half felt completely different, there were several unnecessary characters, and the pacing was off.

I was discouraged. I would have to start from scratch if I wanted to go on. After a lot of angst, I decided that I loved Jackson too much to let him go. When the agent round of the contest rolled around, I was a few chapters into my brand-new rewrite. One of the agent judges, the incomparable Louise Fury, loved my pitch and first page and wanted my full manuscript. After I explained the situation, she was gracious enough to agree to wait a few weeks for me to finish the new version.

I kicked it into high gear: I woke up before dawn, wrote for two hours before going to work, came home early in the afternoon and wrote until dark. And it was good. I could feel the difference in the story, in the voice. This one might have a shot, I thought.

When I finished, I sent the manuscript to Louise. The next day, she emailed me to tell me that she was only a quarter of the way through so far, but she wanted to know if I had it out with any other agents (I did, about twenty). The following morning, I got an email saying she’d finished it and wanted to call to offer me representation. She adored my book. She loved my writing. I was sure I must be dreaming.

She was AMAZING. She laid everything out—edits it needed, why she loved it (I may have squealed a little to myself at that point), where she thought it might find a home. Everything she said was exactly on track with my vision for the book, and I was even especially excited about the edits, because they made SO MUCH SENSE and would make the book so much better. We set a deadline and I got to work nudging the agents I felt could compete with her (it was a very short list) and respectfully withdrawing the rest of my queries.

I got about a 50% interest rate from the agents I nudged, but all five of them ended up stepping aside with congratulations and praise for my quirky manuscript, which they all liked but just didn't fall in love with. Honestly, I’m glad none of them offered, because it would’ve been a gut-wrenching decision and Louise SO would’ve won anyway! I accepted her offer the day before our deadline. She’s an enthusiastic, amazing, efficient juggernaut of an agent (with a cool accent to boot), and I’m absolutely thrilled to be the newest member of Team Fury. I can’t wait to see what the next few months will hold.

What did I learn from all of this? Do what you love. Do whatever it takes to be the best you can at it. If you ever hear that little voice that says “It’s too hard, you’re not good enough,” don’t listen. And never stop dreaming.

Comments

  1. What an encouraging success story-- thank you for sharing-- and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Great inspiration for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda! I'm so glad it was inspiring.

      Delete
  3. Congrats Naomi!!! I have a partial with Louise and am curious to hear her thoughts. May you have a quick and easy sub process :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Louise is fantastic! And thanks. :)

      Delete
  4. Woo Hoo! Congratulations! I loved reading your agent story and I hope you find a publisher, like today:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful news and very many congratulations on your success which clearly was the fruit of diligence and tenacity on your part, as opposed to any degree of luck, so should taste all the sweeter. Happy re-writing and keep us posted on your route to publication :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaxbee! Hard work is a huge part of being successful, for sure. :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your story, and congratulations! I am going to share a link to your story on Monday on my site so that others can enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori A. Goldstein (@_lagold)March 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

    Um, seriously? You wrote two books and learned the craft of writing only since September? In awe! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I was determined, passionate, and had a lot of free time. :P Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Right? That's crazy!

      Congrats Naomi :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!! You've been added to my inspiring stories list. :)

    http://www.writeforapples.com/2012/06/inspiring-stories-getting-their-agents.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so lovely to find your agent-match. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, new agent twin! I'll follow your publication journey with interest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe in dream fulfillment. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great story, thank you for sharing! I’ve seen Louise on a few panels and she and her accent are awesome. She’s a wonderful agent, CONGRATS!!!! Chocolate and sparkly unicorns all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Naomi!!! I'm so happy for you =D I love that you talk about doing A LOT of research into not only querying agents/publishers, etc. but research on the craft of writing. I feel like, as writers, we can always improve, and we should never settle for a manuscript that's "good" but not "the best it can possibly be."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! And you only have to work harder after you get an agent. :P But it's all SO worth it!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations, Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO PROUD OF YOU!!

    I know how hard you worked and people will LOVE THIS BOOK when they get to read it. (note: when. Because they will.)

    <333 hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATS INKY! I am so thrilled and happy for you!
    I should bake you a book cake :D
    How wonderful and fabulous~
    I love all that you shared!
    We do need to keep listening to that voice!
    @>---------

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ella. Oh boy! It wasn't me who got an agent. One of the girls who was in my writing group shared her story about how she got her agent.

      Still fantastic news and a reason to celebrate:)

      Delete
  17. Congrats, Naomi. I just saw your comment on QT under Louise and had to read your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just read your inspiring story, Naomi. I must say my heart leapt when you said you were picked as an alternate in pitch wars. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri