Skip to main content

A to Z Challenge: Where Are We, anyway?

When I signed up for the A to Z Challenge, I couldn't wait for the letter D to get here. I had such an exciting blog post planned.

D is for Dancing with your plot...

For a Panster, plotting is harder than for a natural borne plottter. Well, for me it is. I always get a cramped feeling when I sit down and plot straight out. I honestly can NOT think of the path I want my characters to take.

My creativity always happens as I'm writing. Maybe my MC does something out of the ordinary that will spark an idea. Or sometimes, as I'm working on descriptions of the setting, an idea will come from no where.

As I write, the inspiration happens. So my problem with plotting is NO INSPIRATION.

Until....

One day, I was chatting with @plotwhisperer and she said something I'll never forget.

Mar 19
Can always do both at the same time, . Write until you don't know where you're going anymore. Plot for clarity and direction
A dance, . Back and forth until you have plotted and written all the way to the end.


That idea sounded beautiful to me! Dancing with my plot. Dancing with my WIP. How inspirational and romantic. I loved it!

And so, now I dance. I write a little. As inspiration strikes, I stop and plot some. When the ideas cease to to roll, I pick up my virtual pen and write. When something new pops up, I stop, and plot more.

It's beautiful.
It's fun.
It's creative.
It's inspirational. 
And I love it.

It gives my writing a whole new meaning.

Ready for dance lessons, beautiful guys and dolls????

Comments

  1. Ink, hope you're doing all right.
    If writing that way keeps things flowing, do it. I bet changing it up like that would help a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly changing things up. I find it difficult to focus from point a and plot forward. I need to mix things up to keep the creativity flowing smoothly.

      Delete
  2. I can't plot but I somehow know 'the something' that going to happen before it does. I can find out something I didn't know about a character, and this can 'turn' the story. Less than half way through the novel I know how I'd like it to end, and it's quite amazing how it gets there - with twists and turns along the way.
    Somehow I know what's coming next, but where it comes from I have no idea. I'd like to think this is 'dancing'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a hybrid. I get a basic outline in bullet points and know the end from the beginning. From there, I'm all over the place writing wherever the inspiration attaches itself to and skipping all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it make writing easier if you can plot. I can't. Give me nonfiction and I can outline until those cows make it home, but fiction? Fat chance. I do write until I have no where else to go, then I take a walk or go to sleep. When I come back to my project, that character has already written the next scene and the next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri