Skip to main content

ISWG July WIP'ed Ink Wednesday

Happy 4th of July you beautiful guys and dolls!! Hope your week is going well and your holiday is red, white, and blue! If you live in the USA, that is. If not, Happy Day, to you!!

I love this time of the month, cause I get to share my thoughts and insecurities.

This month, however, I'm going to talk about a rejection letter that at first, made me sad, but after I read the accompanying critique, I was like WOW!!

See, no one likes rejections. But if a writer takes rejection personally and uses it against their reasons for being a writer, discouragements settles in followed closely by quitting.

Don't get to that point! I'm finally to the point where I know how subjective this business is and rejection is just a fact that I haven't found the RIGHT agent to represent my book. That's all.

So, since today is also WIP'ed Ink day, I thought I'd share my original opening to one of my manuscripts and then show you the notes and suggestions from an AGENT who gave me marvelous advice on how to wip my writing into pretty colors and ink tints!

Original:



Kallie Jenson hurried through the alley. She hated being late, even with the good excuse her alarm failed to go off. The electric outage only affected her apartment complex. Just her luck. The early morning hours offered limited light, but the streetlights already flickered as the night slipped away. She pulled a flashlight from her pocket. Under normal conditions, Kallie wouldn’t take the ally. But it was the quickest way to get to the school, where she worked as a tutor.
Last nights rain created puddles everywhere and she wanted to avoid as many splashes as possible. She hated wet shoes. Today, she was wearing her new hiking boots. As soon as she finished working, she planned to hike down by the lake. That is, if the rain didn’t keep her away. Thunder boomed off in the distance.
“I guess the storm will linger over through today,” she said. A shiver ran down her back. She loved storms. The envelope she carried needed to stay dry, so she put the flashlight handle in her mouth and slung her backpack off her back and fumbled with the zipper. From inside her pack, a knife glistened in the beam of her light.

New Version with notes: 

Kallie Jenson hurried through the alley. She hated being late, even with the good excuse her alarm failed to go off[p2] though it wasn’t her fault her alarm didn’t go off. It was just her luck: The electric outage only affected her apartment complex. Just her luck. The early morning hours offered limited light, but the streetlights already flickered as the night slipped away. She pulled a flashlight from her pocket. Under normal conditionscircumstances, Kallie wouldn’t take the alley. But it was the quickest way to get to the school, where she worked as a tutor. [p3] But these weren’t normal circumstances.
Last nights rain created puddles everywhere and she wanted to avoid as many splashes as possible. She hated wet shoes.  Thunder boomed off in the distance.
“I guess the storm will linger over through today,” she said. A shiver ran down her back. She loved storms. The envelope she carried needed to stay dry, so she put the flashlight handle in her mouth and slung her backpack off her back and fumbled with the zipper. From inside her pack, a knife glistened in the beam of her light. (see note below...)


 This is a great line. What would be fantastic is to open with this line – almost like the opening line of Neil Gaiman’s THE GRAVEYARD BOOK (which is: “There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.”) Bringing this to the front will hook readers right away because it creates so many questions: Why is there a knife in the backpack? What happened? What might happen? Etc.


 New Version:

Kallie Jenson hurried through the alley, a backpack slung over her shoulder. From inside her pack, a knife glistened. She hated being late, but it was her lot in life. She was always late, no matter how hard she tried to be on time. The early morning hours offered limited light, but the streetlights already flickered as the night slipped away. She pulled a flashlight from her pocket. Under normal circumstances, Kallie wouldn’t take the alley. But these weren't normal circumstances.
Last nights rain created puddles everywhere and she wanted to avoid as many splashes as possible.  Thunder boomed off in the distance. A shiver ran down her back. She loved storms
The envelope she carried needed to stay dry, so she put the flashlight handle in her mouth and slung her backpack off her back and fumbled with the zipper.

 My opinion:
 This still needs work. I feel like it is jumpy and choppy. So, it's back to revision cave I go...

Thanks for stopping by today!
What are you struggling with as a writer?
Visit Alex's blog for more writers in the group! Be sure and visit at least 12 new blogs today:)




Comments

  1. This always happens to me when I get critique - first I feel really down and want to give up, then I leave it a while and the next time I read through it I realise that it's not so bad really, and that there are a lot of useful tips about how to make my writing better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, nothing like having a good editor have a go at it, eh? Besides writing, it's what I do for a living these days, so it's become second nature to tear everything I read to shreds. But let me tell you, there's nothing that will teach more about writing than having rock sold, well-experienced critique partners who will take your manuscript part word by word. I had 12 for my book, The Mistaken, and they were divers -- a lawyer, a paralegal, a college English professor, a college student, etc. Each had their own take and brand of critiquing and they caught almost every error so I wouldn't be embarrassed about an agent seeing a poorly edited ms. But it's a process and takes time. Keep on trying and you will find what you're looking for!

    Great post! I'm one of Alex's minions for the July IWSG. Nice to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was cool the agent gave you those suggestions! Better than just a form rejection slip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing! Oooo, maybe I'll get up the courage to do this :) It's funny how small changes make such a difference. The revision is really good and just to get actual comments back is fantastic!

    Meredith
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote about rejection today too. It stings but there's so much learning that can happen and then we face the next opportunity with more confidence. Go us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this snippet!
    It's great that the agent took the time to offer suggestions. A good boost for the spirits.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very helpful rejection and critique. I wish more agents could do that, but I understand they are very busy. I'm still hoping to find the RIGHT agent for my book too. :) Good luck revising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is an amazing critique! What I've learned through my many rejections is that receiving that kind of rejection is the biggest compliment, short of an acceptance. She believes in you and glimpses something great, otherwise she wouldn't take the time to encourage you. Go ahead, revise your piece again, but have faith that the light is peeking at the end of the tunnel. You are so close, and there is something great waiting at the other end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish all rejections were like that! We would learn so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fascinating seeing these notes! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri